This recipe is terrific and it makes a bunch of food!
Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls (courtesy of paleotable.com http://www.paleotable.com/2011/01/crock-pot-cabbage-rolls.html)
1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
2 lbs ground meat (I used beef.)
1 head green cabbage
1/2 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
3 – 5 cloves garlic 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
26-oz jar of your favorite all-natural tomato sauce
(FYI… I typically double or triple the spices which only makes it more flavorful)
- Pulse cauliflower in food processor until it is a rice-like consistency. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Pulse onion and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Blot or drain slightly, if needed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and herbs and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onions start to soften. Remove from heat.
- Add meat, almond flour, egg, and garlic powder to the cauliflower. Combine thoroughly with your hands or a large spoon. Add in onion mixture and mix well.
- Cut around the core of the cabbage with a sharp knife. Separate and rinse about 12 large outer cabbage leaves. Place them in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high heat for 2 minutes, working in batches, if needed.
- Line large crock pot insert with two large cabbage leaves (use the ripped ones). This will insulate the cabbage rolls when cooking and prevent them from burning.
- Place one cabbage leaf on a flat surface.
- Scoop 1/2 -3/4 cup of the meat filling onto the stem end of the cabbage leaf. Starting at the stem end, begin to roll while tucking in both sides.
- Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves to form 10-12 large rolls. Place rolls in the crock pot, seam-side down. Layer the rolls, if needed.
- Pour tomato sauce evenly over top of cabbage rolls.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. To serve, place 2-3 cabbage rolls on each plate. Spoon sauce and drippings on top and around the rolls. Enjoy!